Sunday, December 27, 2020

The PURPOSE of the HOLY SPIRIT

 

Why did JESUS leave us with the HOLY SPIRIT?

What is the Spirit's purpose?

The HOLY SPIRIT was sent for the following reasons:

To give life.

2 Corinthians 3:6

King James Version

6 Who also hath made us able ministers 

of the new testament; 

not of the letter, but of the spirit: 

for the letter killethbut the spirit giveth life.


To raise the dead.

Romans 8:11

King James Version

11 But if the Spirit of him 

that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, 

he that raised up Christ from the dead 

shall also quicken your mortal bodies 

by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.


To comfort us.

John 14:16-17 

King James Version

16 And I will pray the Father, 

and he shall give you another Comforter

that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; 

whom the world cannot receive, 

because it seeth him not, 

neither knoweth him: 

but ye know him; 

for he dwelleth with you, 

and shall be in you.


To testify of JESUS.

John 15:26 

King James Version

26 But when the Comforter is come, 

whom I will send unto you from the Father, 

even the Spirit of truth, 

which proceedeth from the Father

he shall testify of me:


To reprove the world of sin.

John 16:7-11 

King James Version

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; 

It is expedient for you that I go away: 

for if I go not away, 

the Comforter will not come unto you; 

but if I depart, 

I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, 

he will reprove the world of sin, 

and of righteousness, 

and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, 

and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.


To guide us into all truth.

John 16:13 

King James Version

13 Howbeit when he, 

the Spirit of truth, 

is come, 

he will guide you into all truth

for he shall not speak of himself; 

but whatsoever he shall hear, 

that shall he speak: 

and he will shew you things to come.


To glorify JESUS.

John 16:14-15 

King James Version

14 He shall glorify me

for he shall receive of mine,

 and shall shew it unto you.

15 All things that the Father hath are mine: 

therefore said I, 

that he shall take of mine, 

and shall shew it unto you.


In the next posts, you will know more about the nature of the Holy Spirit, and how He figures in our lives.

Now, we're beginning to see, more and more, why we have to RESPECT the HOLY SPIRIT.


Related material:

The HOLY SPIRIT

SPIRIT of GOD

SPIRIT articles

WALK in the SPIRIT

FOOD for the spirit


Updated 8 March 2023


SPIRIT and me

  Job 33:4 King James Version 4 The spirit of God hath made me,  and the breath of the Almighty  hath given me life . How important is the H...